„Having been recently exposed to this technology, I have
concerns for how far we have fallen behind in this sphere... I am not confident that we even have a measure
of the extent to which we need to catch up.“
(Prominent North American Asphalt Researcher on ASPHALT EXPERT SYSTEM ®©, June 2002)
ASPHALT EXPERT SYSTEM®© is designed to allow you to make rapid, measured decisions based on a clear understanding of all the processed data and test results, and optimizes both mix designs and various resources.
Q. WHY ASPHALT EXPERT SYSTEM ®© IS “WE MUST HAVE IT” SITUATION?
· The KEY PARAMETERS are usually ignored, played down, or not seen at all.
· Such MENTAL POSITION inevitably leads toward cumulative errors and consequently more or less obvious failures in the world of asphalt reality.
· Even if ONE becomes aware of such complex interrelations there is NO WAY TO COMPUTE IT. Processing tools are missing.
· The Only Solution Is: A Full Implementation Of ASPHALT EXPERT SYSTEM ®© In Own Business Environment.
In situation of ‘disarray’ when demands are high and YOU stretch beyond horizon and time for project completion shrinks, the speed and quality of intelligent solutions offered by the ASPHALT EXPERT SYSTEM ®© becomes essential.
Q. OK. But, Could You Be More Specific On The Subject?
1. Optimum Resource Management In The Asphalt Field Is Possible.
2. Optimum Resource Management comes down to Optimum Rational in Asphalt Mix Design and Optimum Data Processing.
3. It Results In Asphalt Mix Functional Constituents Related To EVERYTHING ELSE. THAT IS THE WAY!!!
4. Therefore, Obtained Optimum Composite Material Will Then Meet Most of Bellow Specified Demands:
· USER Demands: safety, comfortable ride, full-functionality, accessibility
· SURFACE LAYER Demands: Proper Geometry, Friction, Noise
· STRUCTURAL PAVEMENT DESIGN Demands: Adequate Loading Capacity, Proper Structural Integrity
· ASPHALT LAYER Demands: Stiffness, Stability, Thermal Fatigue Resistance, Low Moisture Susceptibility
· PRODUCTION & CONSTRUCTION Demands: Equiviscose Temperatures in Production and Laying Down, Optimum Workability and Optimum Uniformity Achieving Parameters
· INPUT MATERIAL Demands: Aggregate, SKELETAL GRADING and other key characteristics, Binder characteristics and Compatibility, Modifier characteristics and Compatibility
Needles to say, each step in the process MUST BE Cost Effective.
Let us assume, we have an Optimum Rational BUT NO Processing Capability.
Without This Last Element There Is A Great Chance For Gravy Mistakes.
· Some of those parameters are latent and activated only as part of critical scenario development.
· There is no purpose in attaching the same level of importance to all of them.
· Designer is safely led by ASPHALT EXPERT SYSTEM ®© out of ’red’ zone
· A user initially checks, tags, selects from combo box menus and various customized d-bases already stored and updated corresponding parameters for own specific ‘target’ case simulations.
· Actual input of new data into dBases is reduced to a minimum.
· Variety of scenarios are played in less than 20-30 seconds, and
· Out of all processed data only 5-10% are subject to a change/modification.
No Human Mind Could Accurately Extrapolate And Follow Logic Made Of Variety of ‘WHAT Ifs’.
‘If This AND That OR This OR That...predicting and computing what would happen with this set of data if one or more parameters change.
(Such data processing could be so complex that requires exceptional skills employed without mental fatigue on the long run…All The Way Up to the 12th level for ‘If’. No, that is IMPOSSIBLE for average engineer or researcher.)
That Is WHY The Gap Was Successfully Closed By Development Of Computer Based Sophisticated Optimization Technology That Does The Job and Delivers Highly Accurate, ‘Finely Tuned’, Advanced Solutions for 85 – 90 % 0f The Issues In The Following Fields:
· Asphalt Mix Design,
· Constituents Suitability And Compatibility Evaluation,
· Modifiers Usefulness And Compatibility Evaluation, etc...
THERE ARE THREE (3) ‘BUILT-IN’ SOFTWARE MODES OF OPTIMIZATIONS. ASPHALT EXPERT SYSTEM ®© ALLOWS YOU TO CARRY OUT ANY DESIRED LEVEL OF OPTIMIZATION. ALL DATA ARE RELATED TO THE FUNCTIONAL CONSTITUENTS - i.e. RATIONAL ASPHALT MODEL.
THE FOLLOWING DATA ARE PROCESSED:
PAVEMENT Structure, Traffic, Environment: layer type and position 2, max particle size 1, NMPS 1, lift thickness 1, load duration and type 2, climate factors (high, low) 2 > 9
AM COMPOSITION - GENERAL: used binder type 1, level of porosity in grains 1, ‘0’ fraction 1, modifier participation 1-2, granular material participation 1 In Average 5
Pre-selection Criteria 8, Fractions Grading (3-8), Densities w/o Pores,
Porosities of Sub-fractions; FILLER zone: Densities w/o Pores, Voids in
BINDER: Origin & Processing 3, Selection / Pavement T Determination Criteria 5, Rheological and Relevant Physical Properties (Density, R&B, Penetration, Viscosity at 135 and 160C, Delta R&B, Direct Tensile Test, Bending Beam Rheometer) 8 > 16
MODIFIERS: density, grading, porosity, interactive index, specifics In Average > 8
RELATIONAL CONSTITUENTS - FUNCTIONAL DESIGN: Composition 9
REAL OPTIMIZATION CRITERIA (Skeletal Aggregates Part 2, Effective Ratio of Rigid and Soft Phase 2, Index of Re-granulation 1, Integral 1, Grading Curve ‘Shape’ 1, Designed Voids 1, Condition of Plasticity 2, Condition of Cohesiveness 2, Moisture Sensitivity 2, Film Thickness 2, ‘Steric’ Expansion Rigid Phase Index 1) > 17
INDIRECTLY INCLUDED PARAMETERS: inner friction level, macro-texture, adherence, anti-stripping index, closed/open voids ratio & structure > 5
MANUFACTURING and PLACEMENT (QUALITY ASSURANCE):
CONSTRUCTABILITY & ANTI-SEGGREGATION CRITERIA: Site Ambient (Humidity 1, T Differentials 1, T Gradients - Drop, Wind Factor 2), Storage-Hauling (Extensive Silo Time 1, Shipping Time 1, PROPER RE-MIXING 1, Compatible Technology 1) > 8
Procedure - Type of Equipment 3, Weight 3, Distance 3,
Grading Limits 2, VTM 2, VFA 2, VMA 2, Derivations 4, Compactability 1 > 11
INPUT MATERIAL PRICES (f.o.b.)
Binder 1, Added Filler 1, Fractions 2-5, Modifier 1-2 Average > 6
The Choice Is Yours!!!